The following is the pedigree for Ada Marie Garland who married James Barney Worcester on December 18, 1872. The genealogical information was obtained from the "Garland Genealogy, the Descendants of Peter Garland, Mariner" by James Gray Garland, Watson Illuminator Print, Biddeford, Maine. 1897. (Available for free from https://play.google.com/books.)
|Coat of Arms||Ada Marie Garland Worcester||James Barney Worcester|
PETER GARLAND, mariner. Born in England. Married Elizabeth, who died in 1687, aged 88 years. Residence, Charles- town, Massachusetts Bay. He owned vessels and "coasted" between Massachusetts Bay and Virginia and the " Dutch plantations." "He died in the South while on a voyage." Before his death he requested his sons to take his body to the North for burial, where he had sons, and perhaps daughters. While his body was being brought North in one of his vessels, a storm arose and the coffin containing his body was washed overboard. "He was admitted inhabitant to Charlestown, Massachusetts Bay, in 1637, with seventeen others, including John Harvard, founder of Harvard College." He was allotted in 1637, as inhabitant of Charlestown, "five acres of a ten acre lot in'- 1st Division Mystic Side, No. 13," and "permitted to purchase Mr. Wainwright's house that he bought of Root. Molton, and to have a meadow between Whitehead's land and Capt. Sedgwick's, in 1638."
Extract from Thomas Letchford's Note Book, in Massachusetts Bay, 1638-1641, as follows: — "Thomas Beech, I pray you to pay unto my good ffriend, Mr. Isaac Allerton, the above somme of thirty-three pounds four shillings and six pence. And I further desire you to demand, recover and receive for me the above somme £6 3s 6d of the same partys, who owe the same unto me, and upon payment, give them acquittance, which when you have received, pay over to my said ffriend, Mr. Isaac Allerton, according to my Letter of Attorney to him made the Date hereof in that behalf." Witness my hand the twenty-nynth of March, Anno Dni., 1639. (Signed) Peter Garland." "To all whom these presents shall come, greeting: Whereas, Thomas Beech, now remayning att the Dutch Plantations, standeth indebted unto me, Peter Garland, of New England, mariner," &c.
Names of persons whose land "adjoined or was bounded by lands of Peter Garland, in Charlestowu, Mass Bay: Ed. Converse, James Pemberton, Thomas Molton, Geo. Hepbourn, Ffrancis Wainwright, Robt. Hankness, Abraham Hills, Thomas Caules, Robert Molton, James J. Pemberton."
Children of Peter Garland (who settled in the North)
3. Peter, b. before 16 15 ; 111. Joan ; res. Boston.
4. George (possibly).
JOHN GARLAND, (Peter1), b between 1620-2; died, Jan. 4, 1672; residence, Hampton, N. H. Married first, Oct. 26 1652, Elizabeth Chapman; married second, 1654, Elizabeth Chase, widow of Thomas Chase and daughter of Thomas Philbrick, of Hampton. After the death of John Garland, she again married, 1674, Henry Roby. His will dated Nov. 15, 1671, proved April 9, 1672. "His wife Elizabeth and son John, executors of his will, the former till John is twenty-one years old, then he alone." "1st, to John, who has that meadow which I bought of Philip Lewis, and also the homestead. 2d, to Jacob half the land at Hogpen Plain I bought of Seaborn Cotton. 3d, to Peter who has half of that land given him, being in the Hogpen Plain, which is in the edge of Kingston, N. H." House, barn and house-lot were appraised at £150. John Garland came to Hampton before 1653, his name being on the tax list at that date, and "settled in the Eastern part of the town, where some of his descendants of every generation since have lived, on the spot where, till within a few years, stood the house occupied by the brothers David and Jonathan Garland. The present Garland house, in the same enclosure, is a lit tle farther east." (Dow.) In 1650 John Garland, with others from Hampton, were forbidden from cutting any timber in Exeter, N. H., but he had a lot granted him if he stay one year in the town of Exeter. His name appears on the books of Exeter as one of the first in Aug. 26, 1650. He owned land in Hampton, bounded by G. Fitield (now owned by E. A. Knowles), in 1666. In 1663 he sold one share in the common to Robert Smith, the original right to which belonged to Thomas Chase.
Children of John Garland
5. John, b. Mch. n, 1655; m. 1st, Elizabeth Robinson; m. 2d, Mary Philbrook.
6. Jacob, b. Dec. 20, 1656 ; m. Rebecca Sears.
PETER GARLAND, (John2, Peter1), b Sep. 25, 1659 ; married 1st, Elizabeth; died Feb. 19, 1688; 2 children; married 2d, 1687, Sarah Taylor, daughter of John and Deborah Godfrey Taylor. She outlived Peter, and Feb. 13, 1708, she married Deacon Samuel Dow, as his 2d wife, and had a son. He settled in Hampton, now Rye, it is believed, on the present "Garland homestead", lately occupied by Adna Garland. "He sailed a sloop named Sarah Taylor." "Aug. 28, 1693, Peter Garland was cr. account of pow der money for sloop Nonsuch 15s." He was cr. for powder money March 13, 1694-5 for Brigt. Adventure £1. (Acts and Resolves Province of Mass. Bay, Vol. VIII.) " Sloop New Design, 16 tons, was bought in Boston, Nov. 13, 1705, by Peter Garland and Samuel Nudd, mariners; sailed between Boston and Hampton; Samuel Nudd, master; cost £106; had no guns." (Dow.)
Children of Peter Garland by 1st m
8. Peter, b. Oct. 4, 1686.
9. Samuel, b. Feb. 2, 1688 ; shoemaker ; res. Kington, N. H.
Children of Peter Garland by 2nd m
10. Jonathan, b. Oct. 28, 1689; d. May 11, 1760; m. Rachel Dow.
12. James, b. about 1694. Little is known of him. "Nov. 20, 1719, he deeded to Simon Moulton one-eighth of a farm formerly granted or owned by Seaborn Cotton." He, with others of Hampton, petitioned for Township of Weare. He was sergeant on muster roll of Col. Westbrook's Co., in 1724-5.
13. Mary, b. Sep. 7, 1699; m. Nov. 20, 1722, Henry Moulton; res. Hampton.
Children of Mary Moulton
i. Mica h Moulton, b. 1723.
iii. Peter, b. 1727.
iv. Josiah, b. 1731.
v. Jona than, b. 1733.
vi. Henry, b. 1735 ; m. Betsey Mace.
vii. Sarah, bap. 1737.
viii. James, bap. 1739.
ix. David, bap. 1742.
14. Abigail, b. Feb. 25, 1704; m. March 8, 1739, Worthington Moulton; res. Hampton. She was his 2d wife. They moved to Scarborough, Me., and later moved to Standish, Me. "These two sisters married two brothers, sons of Josiah and Elizabeth Moulton. They both lived on homestead in Hampton, south of the Academy.
Children of Abigail Moulton
i. Peter Moulton, b. 1742 ; m. Joanna Shaw ; res. Standish, Me.
ii. Jonathan, b. 1744.
iii. Simon, b. 1747.
J0HN GARLAND, (Peter3, John2, Peter1), baptized April 13, 1692, in Hampton; died about 1741; buried in Rye, near Breakfast Hill; married about 1716, Elizabeth Dearborn, of Rye, born Aug. 31, 1692; daughter of Deacon John Dearborn; farmer; residence Rye after about 1720. A very large owner of lands in Hampton, Rye, Portsmouth, Gilmanton, Nottingham and Barrington. He, with others, in 1721, petitioned for a new District or Precinct of Rye. He was Representative to General Assembly in 1737. Was in service at Fort William and Mary, in 1708, under the Crown.
Children of John Garland
15. Peter, b. April 24, 17 17; d. June 3, 1729.
17. Sarah, bap. Jan. 8, 1724; m. Dea. Francis Jenness, son of Richard; b. 1715.
Children of Sarah Jenness
i. Elizabeth Jenness, b. 1741.
ii. Jonathan, b. 1743; m. Olive Cate.
iii. Isaac, b. 1744; m. Mary Haines,
iv. Mary, b. 1746.
v. Sarah, b. 1749; m. Lieut. Richard Brown,
vi. Dea. John, b. 1751 : m. Elizabeth Cate.
vii. Francis, b. 1753; m. Batchel- der.
viii. Abigail, b. 1 761 .
18. Abigail, b. Jan. 11, 1723; m. Nov. 15. 1748, Samuel C. Jenness, b. 1724 ; early res. Rye ; son of Richard. He m. 2d wife, wid. Shapleigh.
Children of Abigail Jenness
i. Mary Jenness, b. 1749.
ii. Samuel, b. 1752 : m. Mary Locke,
iii. Peter, b. 1755; m. Abigail Drake,
iv. Levi, b. 1757; m. 1st Sarah Dearborn, 2d Elizabeth Wallis.
v. Mary, b. 1758; m. Sam uel Drake,
vi. Elizabeth, m. Nathaniel Drake,
vii. John, b. 1763 ; m. 1st Page, 2d, Batchelder. He had other children by 2d wife.
19. El1zabeth, b. March 13, 1724; m. Richard Locke; res. Rye;
Children of Elizabeth Locke
i. John Locke, b. 1746 ; m. 1st Sarah Jones,2d Thankful Blake,
ii. Albner, b. 1748 ; d. young,
iii. Rich ard, b. 1750; m. Sarah Palmer;
iv. Jacob, b. 1752.
v. Abt1er, 2d, b. 1754.
vi. Jacob, 2d. b. 1757 ; m. Mehitable Hig- gins.
vii. Trypheua. b. 1759; d. 1830.
viii. Job, b. 1762; m. 1st Lang, 2d Philbrick, 3d Locke,
ix. Sarah, b. 1765;
x. Elizabeth, b. 1768.
xi. Simon, b. 1770; m. 1st Ab. Mace. 2d Elizabeth Allen.
20. Simon, b. Jan. 6. 1726; bap. in Greenland, 1726; m. Jan. 3, 1754, Elizabeth Brown; res. Rye.
21. Mary, b. April 27, 1728 ; m. Jan. 3, 1754, Col. Jonathan Brown. son of Benjamin ; b. 1725 ; res. Rye.
Children of Mary Brown
i. Joseph Brown, b. 1757; m. Martha Coffin,
ii. Elizabeth, b. 1755; m Elijah Locke,
iii. John, b. 1758; m. Sarah Allen,
iv. Jonathan, b. 1762 ; d. of small pox.
v. Mary, b. 1 766; m. Joseph Locke,
vi. Abigail, b. 1769; m. Theo. Coffin.
22. Col. Peter, b. July 24. 1732; d. April 26, 1816 ; m. Mary Leavitt.
23. Col. Benjamin, b. Oct. 29, 1734; d. May 2, 1802; m. Dec. 5. 1757, Sarah Jenness.
JOHN GARLAND (John4,Peter3, John2, Peter1), b May 18, 1719, in Rye, N. H.; married February 14, 1744, in Rye, Molly Rand; residence, Green Hill, Barrington, N. H. Assessor in 1753, 1755, 1758; moderator of town meeting and selectman 1760, 1761, 1764; moderator 1777, 1778, 1780, 1785; commissioner 1762-3. April 13, 1778, he was chosen to "convene at Concord, on the 10th day of June next, for the purpose of forming Government." Nov. 26, 1781, be was chosen "to represent the said town of Barrington in the General Assembly to be holden at Exeter for the ensuing year." March 30, 1785, "was a candidate for State Senator; had 48 votes from Barrington, a larger number from that town than any other candidate."
Children of John Garland
24. Mary, b. May 26, 1744; m. Oct. 11. 1762. in Barrington. John Cate, son of Capt. William: res. Barrington, N. H.
Children of Mary Cote
i. John Cate, b. Jan. 12. 1764.
ii. Elizabeth, b. April 6, 1765 ; m. 1786 Reuben Frost,
iii. James, b. July 4. 1766.
iv. Richard, b. Feb. 2, 1768.
v. Samuel, b. Nov. 6, 1770.
vi. William, b. June 28, 1772.
vii. Molly, b. Nov. 29, 1773.
viii. Nathaniel, b. Feb. 18. 1775.
ix. Hannah, b. May 27. 1777.
x. Daniel, b. Sep. 15, 1771).
xi. Lydia and xii. Sarah, b. Oct. 30, 1782.
xiii. Abigail, b. Oct. 31, 1784.
26. Elizaberth, b. March 31, 1748; m. November 15, 1770, Ebenezer Nock, Jr.; res. Rollinsford. N. H.
Children of Elizabeth Nock
i. Elizabeth A., b. 1771 .
ii. Issacher, b. 1773.
iii. Henry, b. 1775.
27. Oley, b. April 30, 1750.
28. Sarah, b. March 11, 1752.
29. Richard, b. March 11, 1754; bap. in Rochester, July 14, 1754; m. Lydia Waterhouse.
30. Susannah, b. March 22, 1756 ; d. 1805; m. Sep. 9, 1784 Thomas Barrows or Burrows: d. May 8. 1834, aged 76.
31. Nathaniel, b. Aug. 12,1758; d. Oct. 13, 1819; m. July 20, 1780, Susannah Young; b. 1759; d. 1861 ; res. Barrington.
32. Abiah, b. July 16, 1760; m. Jan. 20. 1780, Benjamin Water- house ; res. Barrington.
33. Amgail, b. June 17, 1763.
34. Joseph, b. Oct. 12, 1765; d. Feb. 25, 1830; m. 1787, Betsey Waterhouse.
35. Benjamin, b. July 11, 1767 : d. Nov. 18, 1835 ; m. Jan. 18, 1790, Polly Balch ; res. Barrington.
JOHN GARLAND, (John5, John4,Peter3, John2, Peter1). Born March 7, 1746. Died about Aug., 1809; buried in burying- ground in Iron Works Village. Married Hannah Cate. Residence Barrington, N. H.; then removed to Gilmanton, N. H. His will, dated Nov. 20, 1808, probated Aug. 16, 1809. 1776, Justice of the Peace. 1782, Representative to General Court, N. H.
Children of John Garland
36. Samuel, d. 1829; m. Jan. 26, 1786, Abigail Drew.
37. Molly, d. Feb. 20, 1794; m. Joseph Hall of Barrington, b. 1767 ; d. 1844.
Children of Molly Hall
i. Molly Hall, m. Rev. John Nutter.
ii. Hannah, b. 181 1; d. 1872; m. John Drew.
38. John, b. June 7, 1770 ; m. Polly Ayers ; res. Albion, N. H.
39. Isaac, b. April 5, 1774; d. Jan. 28, 1867; m. Nov. 1, 1795, Lydia Babb.
41. Hannah, b. 1776: d. 1864; m. June. 1796, John Berry, b. 1778; d. 1836. Representative to Legislature; warden of New Hampshire State Prison.
Children of Hannah Berry
i. Samuel G., b. 1797: d. 1875; m. Mary Chamberlain; seven ch.
ii. William, b. 1799: d. 1857; m. Tamson Locke,
iii. Joseph, b. 1802; d. 1872; m. Martha Mills,
iv. Polly C, b. 1806; d. 1854; m. Cyrus H Pierce,
v. Abigail H.. b. 1812; d. 1847; m. Cyrus H. Pierce,
vi. John, b. 1815 ; d. 1887; m. Sally Chamberlain ; two ch.
vii. Freeman, b. 1817 ; d. 1874 ; m. Judith Berry.
viii. Stephen7, b. March 17. 1779; d. May 6: 1851: m. 1st Sally Lougee : m. 2d Dolly Trickey.
ix. Richard7, b. Aug. 19, 1783; d. March 22, 1845; m. Hannah Colbath.
x. Joseph7, b. Aug. 19, 1785: d. Feb. 27, 1858; m. Mehitahle Kim ball.
xi. Benjam1n7, b. Feb. 5. 1788: d. Dec. 12, 1857: m. 1st Chamberlain ; m. 2d Widow Sarah Bickford Gallup ; d. 1876, aged 82 years ; no ch. He lived in Alton, N. H.. but removed to Melbourne. P. Q., Canada, and died there. By first wife had one child ; died young,
xii. Lev17, b. 1791 ; d. Nov. 15, 1876: m. 1st Abigail Sias: m. 2d Rachel Allyn.
WILLIAM GARLAND, (John6, John5, John4,Peter3, John2, Peter1). Born Sept. 19, 1776. Died Jan. 13, 1854. Married, Sept. 19, 1799, Betsey Sawyer, died Jan. 27, 1858, aged 82 years. Lived first at Newington, N. H., moved to Barnstead, and later returned to Newington, N. H.
Children of William Garland
42. Cotton, b. Feb. 27, 1800 ; d. Sept. 11, 1866; m. Sept. 27, 1826, Mehitable Pickering ; three ch.
43. Eliza, b. May 12, 1804; d. July 26, 1882; m. Sept. 27, 1829, Joshua Brewster ; res. Boston. Blacksmith.
Children of Eliza Brewster
i. Charles W. Brewster b. 1829 ; d. 1886; m. 1st Maria Coffin ; m. 2d Mary Spinney,
ii. Joshua, b. 1831 ; d. 1874. Mi. George, b. 1833; d. 1887.
iv. James, b. 1835; d. 186S. v. John, vi. Alonzo.
vii. Edwin, 988 m. W1ll1am Cate8, b. Feb. 24, 1810; d. Dec. 15, 1867; m. Sept. 16, 183j^Belinda Rines : five ch.
45. Leonard S., b. in Portsmouth. March 4. 1815; d. May 10, 1876: m. Sept., Almira H. Whitcomb; five ch.
LEVI GARLAND, (William7, John6, John5, John4,Peter3, John2, Peter1).Born Aug. 5, 1812, in Portsmouth, N. H. Died Jan. 22, 1874.Married, Sept. 20, 1841, Maria Ella Adams of Newington, N. H. Residence, Lawrence, Mass., and Newington, N. H.
Children of Levi Garland
46. John Albert, b. in Newington, N. H., Sept. 28. 1842; m. 1st, 1869, Lillian A. Brown, d. 1871 ; m. 2d, 1873, Mary Marden; res. Somerville. Mass.
47. George Albert, b. in Lawrence, Mass., Feb. 18. 1846: m. Dec. 25, 1873, Martha J. Mitchell ; two ch. ; res. Charles town, Mass. Their children :
48. Elizabeth, b. Nov. 22, 1847, in Charlestown, Mass. ; m. May 15, 1871, Charles S. Stone, d. Dec. 3, 1893; res. Everett, Mass. Carpenter.
Children of Elizabeth Stone
i. Lillian A. Stone, b. Aug., 1872 : m. Sept. 6, 1893, Fred H. Dickey,
ii. Earl H., b. Jan. 26. 1874.
iii. Laura M., b. Dec. 28, 1875 ; m., 1894, George E. Drew.
iv. Walter S, b. Oct., 1877. v. Charles S., b. Feb., 1892.
49. Charles Frank1in, b. Sept. 22, 1850, in Lawrence, Mass.; d. Jan. 9, 1895 ; m. Aug. 21. 1880. Hattie E. Frost; two ch. ; res. Charlestown, Mass Stone-cutter.
50. Ada Maria, b. Dec. 2, 1853, in Newington. N. H.; m. Dec. 18, 1872, James Barney Worcester; four ch. ; res. Somerville, Mass.
Children of Ada Maria Worcester
i. John A. Worcester, b. Nov. 10, 1875, in Warren, N. H.
ii. Ethel, b. Oct. 28. 1882, in Charles town. Mass.
iii. Daniel, b. June 6, 1886, in Charlestown. Mass.
iv. Helen, b. June 30. 1888. in Somerville. Mass.
Copyright © 2012 - The Worcester Family
Last modified: November 28, 2012