The Coat-of-Arms on the left was adopted by the New England Worcester Association on June 22, 1912. The following is its blazon: Worcester. Arms, Argent, a castle sable, between eight torteaux (red). Crest. A griffin segreant, gules. This coat-of-arms is slight variation of the emblem of the Episcopal See of Worcesters in England.
The motto: Pax Potior Bello, translated means, "peace preferable to war."
Below are other devices borne by Worcesters in England. There is no evidence that any of them belong to the progenitors of Rev. William Worcester. They are shown here as several of them have been passed off as legitimate family coat-of-arms for the Worcester Family in America.
|ARMS OF WORCESTER ("Burke's
Armory," Ed. 1884, p. 1135.
Gules, on a fess; on between six crosses crosslet or, a mullet sable.
|Sir William Dugdale in his "Antiquities of Warwickshire" ed. 1730. Vol. II. Appendix, gives the Arms of Worcester of Draycote, "Argent, on a chief gules, three cinquefoils of the field."|
|Butnor, or Butenor, -Or, on a chevron between three lion's heads erased gukes as many bezants. Borne by William de Wyrcester who assumed his mother's name of Botenor or Butnor. The family of Botenor was of Withybrooke Co., Warwick, temp. Henry IV. The same coat occurs among the Lyttleton quarterlings at Frankley, about 10 miles north of Draycott. The same coat was formerly in one of the windows of the cloisters of Worcester Cathedral, inscribed "Ricardus de Wigorn."|
|Worcester; as borne according to Nash, by
Thomas de Worcester, Deputy Sheriff of this County, temp. Henry III.
Argent, a raven proper.